Friday, December 7, 2012

Wrapping and Other Efforts

As I mentioned previously, one of my favorite things about the holiday season is the gift wrapping. I love picking the wrapping paper, bags, tissue, boxes, ribbons and bows. I enjoy the challenge of wrapping difficult items. We even enjoy trying to fool people as to their true present. (My husband hid my engagement ring in the jewelry box I requested.) Wrapping is something I truly enjoy.
No matter how I enjoy the wrapping, the effort is short-lived. My weapon to ensure my efforts last a little longer,  TAPE! Oh how I love to use tape. My sister knows how I love to use tape and prepares by getting a knife out to use during opening. Even still, my time and efforts end up in a trash bag.
How many of our efforts in life end up in the same fashion? I know I am not the only one who feels like my efforts are all for naught. Ever cleaned a room only to come back two minutes later and find someone has made a mess. I HATE laundry laying around, and yet unless we were to go naked, there will always be more laundry.
While my efforts may be short-lived in so many ways, some efforts seem fruitless. I have been praying for the ability to meet my sister, Faith. However, every time I get close to her, something happens and we don't end up meeting. I have faith we will meet, and so I will continue praying and trying. I know my prayers are not ignored, simply it isn't the time yet for the prayers to be fulfilled.
While I could easily just put the presents in bags, taking much less time, it takes away some of my joy doing so. I look at so many other fruitless activities in the same light. Our efforts may seem fruitless, some seem burdensome, others joyful, but we must have faith each effort has implications beyond our current sight.
Before giving up on any effort, I challenge you to consider the rewards for continuing as you have. If there is something you can do differently to glean more joy, do so. Never stop wrapping presents just because your efforts seem wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment