Saturday, April 6, 2013

Feeling Down

I will warn anyone reading this, as I am sure you guessed by the title, I am feeling down. I am a planner. I can "plan" things years out, and yet sometimes I forget to look right in front of me. Instead of the inability to see the forest for the trees, I see the forest and miss the tree that is about to crash in front of me. CARB is that tree.
For those of you who read this and aren't aware, CARB is the California Air Resources Board. They have mandated the pollution level allowed by all trucks coming into the state. Sounds good right? I mean who wants to look at smog. Truck exhaust is so... dirty. Those old nasty trucks just need to be replaced. Right? If you agree with these things, you might as well stop reading. For the rest of you, beware I am about to rant about the cause of my "down" feeling.
Those of us in the trucking industry have been aware of CARB, but hoped someone would sue, or there would be some other way around it. Well, I don't see that on the horizon, so it is time for me to prepare. We finally found a company that would allow three in the truck full time, but got final word this week that if we do not become California compliant our lease will be terminated. The cost of that simple compliance is $32,000 for parts alone, so the installation charges would be who knows how much. Or, get a newer truck. We have had so many nos  this week, I don't even want to say the word.
Would we like to get a newer truck? Well sure, but the idea of being forced into the decision, and then being told no at every attempt is very difficult. Our truck is 14 years old. We have had to work hard to get it to the condition it is. Our life is spent in this truck. And now, I just don't know what we will do.

2 comments: