Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"Semi" retired?

Yesterday we were set to pick up one oversized load, that turned into two. We had already been told we wouldn't be getting night permits, so I thought we would have an easy day. It turns out, we will have a pretty easy week. We have a fan case that is 134" wide (standard trailer width is 102"),  in addition to the planned 108" wide engine. Instead of being oversized only from Newark NJ to Hebron KY, we will be oversized all the way to Houston TX.
I would think most homeschooling families get up, have breakfast, "do school", eat lunch in there somewhere, and fill in with whatever else they need to do. Well, I usually wake up, drive, "do school", start dinner, and then sleep. I would guess my "day" is more similar to a woman who home schools, after she works third shift. This week, we all get up together, shortly before sunrise, have coffee and breakfast, my hubby drives while Bonnie and I get the schoolwork done that requires me, I give her the rest of her assignments, start dinner, and then I get to help with routing, and just relax. I am blessed that my husband would rather only have him drive this load, because I freak out in tight spaces. I keep thinking this must be what it is like to be "semi"-retired. Wow! How relaxing, and yet I am afraid I will be bored by the time we deliver. Beware, I may end up finishing all the blog posts I have started and never finished.
To share a little of what we have been doing, we are almost finished with Beyond the Desert Gate. The part where Hylas talks about Jerusalem will be destroyed because of their unwillingness to submit to God's control hit home. Bonnie started reading Flame Over Tara shortly before St Patrick's Day, and is now about half through with it. Math is coming along, as is science. This week we are reading the book of James. Those of you who are familiar with Sonlight will recognize we are nowhere near the halfway point on the curriculum, but we are enjoying our laid back times. I guess this week will get us back up to speed a bit. Only 2 more months of school, but I plan on schooling right through the summer.
I hope everyone is being safe. Be aware with an oversized load, we have so much larger blind spots, so help the driver out when you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment