Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Prepped Food is GREAT

I recently shared about prepping a month of food. While storing the food is a bit of a challenge on the truck, and it took a bit of time, I am still in love with this idea. It is definitely something I would do if I lived at home, because then you take all the "cooking" time in one day instead of spending a lot more time throughout the month. I have been able to pull out a couple of bags from the freezer to thaw, and then just start the cooking as we go down the road, and with very little effort the meal is done. Sometimes, it makes my husband want to stop sooner because the food smells so good.
Most of the recipes are from A Year of Slow Cooking. I found the blog when someone posted one of her recipes on Pinterest, and decided to see if any of her recipes could be adapted to freeze ahead and then cook on the truck. I know I have looked at a few other blogs, but for some reason can't seem to find them right now. I apologize ahead of time for the great tableware, but keep in mind we live in a truck.
Coconut Curry Chicken
Coconut Curry Chicken (I slightly modified the recipe)
1 can Coconut Milk
1 cup Chicken Broth
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 1/2 tsp Curry
3 Sweet Potatoes (peeled and cubed)
1 Red Pepper (minced)
6 Chicken breasts
I placed all the ingredients in a Ziploc bag, and put it in the freezer. When we picked it as one of the meals, I just thawed it, and cooked it in the crockpot on high for a few hours, then switched it to low when I knew the chicken was going to cook. In the original recipe, it called for baby carrots, but since I am the only one who likes cooked carrots, I figured I would leave them out. The red pepper was my addition as well. This is definitely one of those things I would like to make again.

Mongolian Beef
Mongolian Beef
1 pound stew meat
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion (minced)
1 Tbsp minced garlic (I may have added a little more)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup water (I left it out, and it was just fine without it)
Again, I dumped everything in the bag, and cooked it on high for a bit, then switched to low when the meat was almost done. We served it over brown rice cooked in the microwave. We loved this as well.

Teriyaki Chicken
1 cup Teriyaki sauce
2 Tbsp minced garlic (we love garlic)
1 can cubed pineapple
1 red pepper (minced)
1/2 onion (minced)
6 chicken breasts
I put all but the pineapple in the freezer bag. When ready to cook, I dumped everything in the crockpot, including the can of pineapple (juice and all), and cooked on high until done. We ate this one also with some brown rice. This is something we have done several times, and somehow I forgot to take a picture of it.

I challenge you to try a few recipes, and prep a few meals. Believe me it is a great time saver.

No comments:

Post a Comment