Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thankful for the Ability to Vote

Today is the day I tell my children is very important, and gives you the right to complain for the rest of the time. It is Election Day. I don't always participate in every election, because let's face it, that would be a difficult proposition with our jobs. However, I vote in the major elections. My husband had never registered to vote before he met me. I made it a point to tell our son once he turned 18, which was almost two months before Election Day in 2008, he needed to register. I ended up filling out both cards, and just having my son and husband sign them so they could vote. Now, my husband listens to so much and tries his best to be fair to both sides.
I can remember the first election in which I could participate. It was the first Clinton/Gore term. We were on very hard times. We could only get a few channels on television, and many other things were more important than cable. I became engulfed in the wave of enthusiasm behind Clinton. I went to a few rallies in South Carolina. I wanted Clinton to win, and was excited when he did. Our son also got caught up in the Obama enthusiasm.
I remember when the impeachment proceedings started. I remember being almost ashamed I had voted for this man who was so different than the one I thought I voted into office. It was a tremendous let down. I started paying more attention to the differing sides. I began to take Rush Limbaugh a little more seriously (I had made fun of him during the first election). I guess you could say if it had not been for the whole fiasco with Monica Lewinski, I probably would still be just caught up in the speeches and not looking into the issues.
When we were at home, I would make sure to read as much as I could get my hands on about any issue or person that would be appearing on the ballot. Now, the internet makes that so much easier. You can see the arguments for or against any issue very quickly. I am very aware both of those view will be slanted, but I try to discern what is being said and make what I feel is the best choice. However, like I tell our son, even if I don't agree with your choice, if you vote you earn the right to complain about those things on the ballot.
Our country was founded on Biblical beliefs. We are a Christian nation. Yes, we accept those from other beliefs into the country, and do not expect them to become Christian. Today we have the privilege of voting for the first Mormon as a presidential candidate. Some would argue they are not Christian, but anyone who's slogan is "Vote for Love of Country" is really wanting us to vote for this great ideal that became America. We live in the best country in the world. As any country, it is filled with people from all walks of life, and the government ends up being as imperfect as the members of the country. None of us are perfect. And, regardless of how I vote on several issues, there may be unforeseen consequences to that vote, however others have fought for the right to vote.
I am thankful for the right to vote, and I encourage anyone who can to vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment