Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Error Codes

One of the gadgets we have in our truck is a ScanGauge. Most newer trucks have lovely little displays that can show error codes. Our truck, however is too old to have that type of display. Instead we have a switch labeled "Diagnostic" that you switch and count the number of times the light flashes to decode any error codes in our engine. However, with the ScanGauge we have a display to see the error codes.
Deciphering those codes can be a bit tricky. For example, we had an error code coming up that was not showing when we hit the Diagnostic switch, and wasn't in our list of error codes for our engine. I was finally able to find it on another list, and as it turns out, was for our ABS system. The signal from our right steer ABS is noisy. It took a lot of research to discover exactly what it meant, which meant being persistent.
Sometimes I wish we could hook up a scan tool to ourselves and figure out what was wrong. I have days, and I suspect we all do, where I just don't feel quite right. Wouldn't it be great to hook up a scan tool, and decipher the error code? Instead I muddle through trying to figure it out on my own. I can pray and seek guidance, but sometimes it just seems my own signals are a little noisy.
Just yesterday, a friend of mine had a difficult time deciphering an error code on their truck. I offered to help, and was able to find the reason for the code, and a remedy. That was a wonderful feeling, to be able to help another. Sometimes, we need to do the same thing in our lives, reach out to someone else and ask for help.
While we were not designed with a port to plug in a scan tool, we have lots of ways we can figure out what's wrong. We can pray. We can ask for help, professional or friendly. We can research and read. Only with help can we figure out our own error codes.

No comments:

Post a Comment