Tuesday, January 22, 2013

"My favorite thing about school is reading."

I love reading. There are some books I drudge through, when required to read, but most I breeze through and have to be forced to stop reading. My issue, if I get distracted, I tend to want to read something different when I start reading again. I regularly would have a stack of books, all of which I am part of the way through (kind of like my crocheting projects, lots started).
I fell in love with the idea of the kindle as soon as I saw it. I thought it would be an awesome way to keep my multiple books down to just one item. (I have thanked my daughter several times for listening to her mother once and buying just what I wanted.)
We struggled through our first year homeschooling. We thought a curriculum that was computer based would be the best for us on a truck. We picked Switched on Schoolhouse by Alpha Omega. It was alright, but the answers had to be formatted perfectly to get answers correct. It was beyond frustrating. I did not enjoy teaching. She didn't enjoy learning. It wasn't a good year.
We started looking in April for a curriculum to switch to. My husband wanted to use Abeka or BJU. I really wanted to use Sonlight. I was hopeful my love of reading could rub off on just one more of my daughters. So, slowly I got the curriculum, and were able to start. We had a late start due to a company switch, but the further we get into the curriculum, the more I enjoy it.
We were discussing her progress this year, when she said, "My favorite thing about school is reading." She thought she was struggling with Math, and was amazed to see her B+. Likewise, she was impressed to see her A- in Science. I however, was blown away to hear how she loves reading. I am so impressed. I trusted my gut and listened to my cousin (and only other family member who homeschools), and am loving it.
Sometimes, changing to something the teacher(parent) enjoys is the best thing for all involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment